Title: Book Designer
Company Name: Rockpool Publishing
Job Location: Sydney, Inner West - Summer Hill
Employment Status: Full Time
· Fantastic opportunity in Book publishing!
· Join the #1 Spiritual Publisher in Australia
· Summer Hill, Sydney
Rockpool Publishing, a leading publisher of practical non-fiction books including wellness, mind-body-spirit, sport and recreation books, is offering an exciting opportunity for a talented designer to work on its highly successful range of books and cards as part of our dedicated publishing team.
The successful applicant will have 3+ years in-house book publishing design experience. You will have excellent design skills, attention to detail, be confident in creating new content and be proficient with the Adobe Creative Cloud suite of products and have a sound knowledge of pre-press and multi-colour printing. Ideally suited to someone already working in a similar role in Sydney who is looking to work in a team with more opportunity to grow and learn.
Excellent organisational, computer efficiency and communication skills and an ability to work both independently and within a team are required. Experience in books is a prerequisite as is a working knowledge of MS Office suites. This is an extremely fast paced role that requires remaining calm and creative under pressure. Appropriate tertiary-level qualifications are essential for this role.
Other skills and responsibilities include:
· Working to tight deadlines across multiple books and non-book product
· Ability to follow style guides and work within the bounds of sales and Publishing requirements and feedback
· Ability to work on long document artwork and meticulous set up of styles and master pages
· Confidence in pitching your concepts and designs to an in-house team
· Working with multiple editors, publishers and retail account managers
· Understanding of commercial printing methods and embellishments to heighten visual appeal and to deliver profit-driving results
· Keeping abreast of new graphic/layout techniques, design trends and styles in the industry. Sharing this knowledge with the design team.
· Designing non-book product such as boxed up card sets and packaging
· Liaising with printers on production queries
· Keeping abreast of in-house style guides, assets and design feedback
· General design admin such as archiving files and maintaining assets on servers
Located in Summer Hill Flour Mill complex, the office is a 1-minute walk from West Lewisham light rail or 10-minute walk from Summer Hill or Lewisham station with cafes nearby.
This is a great place to learn about the entire book publishing process and grow your existing design and typesetting skills.
Confidential applications including a cover letter outlining appropriate qualifications and experience, plus CV and design portfolio, should be made in writing to:
Applications close 27 February 2021