Please carefully read and follow our submission guidelines below.
Rockpool Publishing will accept unsolicited submissions. We are interested in Mind Body Spirit; Health and Wellness; Self-help; Gift; Sport and Recreation and general/mass market non-fiction genres. We try to read submissions regularly and prefer to closely read our submissions in 'hard copy' (no digital submissions are accepted).
We are a company that likes to publish content that makes a difference in people's lives, but we must publish books that make commercial sense in order to sustain our company, as all businesses do. Your book proposal should aim to speak to many people, not a small insular group, so please think about how your topic can sell to a large audience, appropriately and effectively. If it is too niche in the subject matter, you may be better to self publish.
Please read the following guidelines carefully before you submit to us. This process is applicable to submission of books AND card set proposals.
Your hard copy proposal should include:
- A clear and concise cover letter including date.
- Contact details (phone, mobile and email) including social media platforms and website.
- Author/business credentials-1 page.
- Please write your reasons for submitting your content, your experience in your field and associations connecting to your work success.
- If previously published, please include a physical copy of your books or card sets.
- Short synopsis of the manuscript, being a 250 word blurb that could appear on the back cover of the book/card deck, summarising your product + full table of contents + complete word count.
- Introduction and the first couple of chapters are acceptable, however we do prefer complete manuscripts when possible. Please correctly number each page of the manuscript.
- All artwork submitted are to be clear and referenced to the correct artist if the work is not created yourself. We advise to not send original artworks unless you submit with pre-paid self addressed package for returns.
- Brief overview of market research, target audience, marketing ideas (please do look in bookshops and online to see if a similar book has been published, we are interested in how your book is different to what is already out there).
- If you wish to have your submission returned, please include a stamped, self-addressed envelope. Otherwise, clearly state in your cover letter instructions to discard. Rockpool Publishing does not take responsibility to send manuscripts that fail to attach pre-paid satchels for return as all manuscripts are ethically destroyed after closed evaluations for respect of privacy and confidentiality reasons.
- Before making your submission, we would appreciate if you could take a look at our previously published books to gain an understanding of the type of books and card sets we are interested in, and if we have already published a book in your topic area then please think about why your book would be good for the reader if there are many books already published on the topic.
- Please keep it brief and to the point.
- Good writing
- Practical Mind, Body, Spirit
- High quality, beautiful artwork
- Gift books
- Self-Help and Wellness
- Sport and Recreation
- General mass market non-fiction
- Originality in subject matter and writing
- A submission that demonstrates your writing ability at its best
- Author realism, it can sometimes take a long time for a book to become a success in the book trade, and author patience and understanding to trust a publisher and work to promote a book over the long term is appreciated
- Your patience! We receive an overwhelming amount of submissions and it may be weeks before you hear from us, but we respond to all. We do not rush quality work or evaluations.
We Don't Love
- Children’s book proposals
- Fiction proposals
- Poetry books
Tips: Note to all prospective authors, they must be prepared to work hard to help in promoting their book, they must present well, and any chance of getting media training for themselves is a plus. You should have researched the market completely and know the competition in the genre, or topic area. You should point out why your book will sell and what differentiates it from the competition.
Send proposals to the attention of Acquisitions Editor, at this address:
P0 Box 252
Summer Hill, NSW 2130